Thursday, July 28, 2005

My Exit

Dear friends,

I'm back in the U.S. My bags are not, but I am. I just read at least 20 e-mails with articles about what's going on in the West Bank and Gaza right now. Most of it is sad and enraging, some of it is hopeful and defiant. There are too many things for me to try to share any of them with you, so this is just a short check-in about my exit. I've been taking notes on other things to share with you about my last couple weeks (sorry I haven't written) but that will have to wait.

For now: The shared taxi picked me up at 4:45 am, and we proceded to drive around much of East Jerusalem and seemingly half the West Bank picking up settlers to take them to the airport. The Nesher taxis specifically drive people to and from Jerusalem. Since Israel keeps expanding its definition of "Jerusalem", it was not all that surprising that I found myself in the middle of the district of Ramallah watching the Palestinian villages pass by as people sat in the car with their orange ribbons signifying opposition to the Gaza disengagement plan. A woman in my car started talking to the driver. My Hebrew isn't great anymore, but from what I could make out, she was saying she was on her way to the airport to meet 2 full plane loads of American Jews who were making "aliyah" (moving to Israel under a racist policy that allows all Jews full citizenship rights in Israel, and denies that same right to everyone else, especially Palestinian refugees who are the only group that actually should enjoy the "right of return" in Palestine, according to international law). An orthodox man in the front seat said to the driver, "Why do they keep bringing outsiders in? This should be a place for Jews." "You don't understand," said the driver, "these are Jews. All the Americans who come are Jews. The Americans aren't the problem, it's the Arabs who are trying to say this is their country who are the problem." I wanted to throw up. Or to punch a hole through the window. I think I need to work on my anger, especially as I'm going to be spending time with USers now, and not Palestinians.

In any case, I arrived at the airport at 6:00 for my 8:00 flight. I made it through the first random pre-bag-checking questioning with no problems. ("What are you doing here?" "Traveling, visiting friends." "Have you been here before?" "Yes, a few times." "Doing what?" "Traveling, a couple programs with Habonim Dror, etc." And that's the clincher - As disgusting as it is, a Zionist past can get you through that part of the airport just fine.)

I arrived at passport control around 7:00, the woman typed my name into the system, and immediately called the police. I spent much of the next hour waiting around and following people from room to room. They didn't seem to have any interest in speaking with me, although a couple times I heard them ask each other to "make sure Arabs didn't give her anything." They took me to a back room and I got the strip search that my friends of Arab descent have been known to get in the past. They paid extra attention to the seams of my clothing. I wonder if they really think that Palestinian weaponry is sophisticated enough to fit in the seams of clothing (I recently found out that one of the reasons Palestinians don't blow up the Wall or buildings is that they don't have the bombs to do it - it's just not a population that has much access to real weapons). In any case, finally the head of security came in and said, "We've pulled your bags off the plane, and we have to keep your carry-on too. We need to check your stuff and your plane won't wait for you, so you can go now without your bags or you can wait here for 8 hours and go with your bags if the next flight has room for you." I remembered my friend who recently left without her stuff and had much of it robbed by airport security (including a couple thousand Euros), but I also had no interest in hanging out with security officials for at least 8 hours (probably longer, since I think all flights are overbooked these days). My bags were also out of my sight anyway (I never saw them), so I didn't see how I could prevent robbing either way. And finally, it did seem to me that they were more interested in checking for bombs in the seams of bags and clothing than in any materials I had or information I could give them (I think they're more interested in long chats and interrogation on the way in than the way out). The only thing I was reluctant to leave was my unchecked carry-on bag with my laptop in it. But in the end, I did leave it behind. They asked if there's anything I really need with me. I took out my purse, my water bottle, a book, and my glasses case. They took everything aside and a minute later brought me my purse and my book. My water bottle and glasses case could not come with me. They ran me to the plane, where I got a sympathetic look from the British Airways employees, who seemed to think Israeli "security" measures are as ridiculous as I think. And this was my exit from the god-forsaken holy land.

I'm hoping my bags come today. I'm still a bit worried about my carry-on (computer, cds, etc.), of which there is no record. I can't leave you all with this as my final message, so I'll write again within the next week or so. I'll be working on a number of projects this Fall, and am still interested in speaking, and also very interested in organizing speaking tours for Palestinians (and maybe Israelis as well). So let me know if you're interested in any of this.

Looking forward to hearing from many of you soon.

Love Hannah