Dec 29, 2008, 11:30pm in Palestine
The death toll in Gaza has reahed 350. 1650 injured. I wonder how the injured are counted. Are these people who reach the hospital? How many others must there be? We watch the footage on the news of children screaming, men and women wailing, fathers with tears streaming down their faces as they kiss the heads of their dead
infants. We see the destroyed buildings. A university, a pharmacy, a police station, a house...
I just sent a text message to my friend in Gaza (the same one I wrote about the other day, the university student), asking how she was. Her response: "We're out of home now because it's ruined. Dad and brothers injured." I tried to call and she didn't answer. She then wrote, "Please!! I can't say a word now but we're fine. Take care." I wrote and said I am so sorry, that I will continue to write to people in the US and to protest. I asked her if there's anything else she can think of that I can do, knowing there probably isn't. I offered to get her a phone card if she needs credit. "What can a phone card do," she wrote back, "with my dad's leg! It needs operation. I don't want more than safety. I want you to know I appreciate you."
I was supposed to go to a friend's house this afternoon in the northern West Bank. She was going to cook me lunch for my birthday. When I got to the area she was unable to cook or think or do much of anything. She grew up in Gaza and most of her family is there. Last night when she talked to her brother in the middle of the night, a bomb had just exploded nearby and the children were all screaming. They are in Rafah, very close to the border with Egypt. Today she has been unable to reach him.
Please, please, stop what you're doing and go out on the streets in protest. Write to your newspapers. Especially those of you in the US. Today everyone I talked to told me the US streets are silent. That there are protests all over the world (people talk about a huge protest in London that got a lot of media attention here), but that the US is doing nothing. I tell them about the many e-mails I've gotten in the past day of protests scheduled in New York, Boston, DC, San Francisco, etc. And yet, it is not enough. Nothing is enough.
But please, do not continue as usual. 1.5 million people who have been under siege in the largest prison in the world for months, even years now, are now being bombed indiscriminately. We have ignored Gaza for too long. Every day, every hour, every minute counts.
I will pray that the rain and clouds continue through the night. Yes, the people fleeing their homes who are now outside may be cold and wet, but the Israeli army is also having difficulty, apparently, bombing in this weather.
This is insane.
(For anyone who still thinks this attack is a response to Hamas rocket attacks of the past few days, read this Israeli article about how the attacks have been planned for months: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1050448.html)
For US folks who don't know where to look for actions: endtheoccupation.org